About the Firm
RS Wait, Chtd. serves clients worldwide. Our firm assists clients with tax, personal financial planning, profit improvement, value enhancement, and business valuation services. Our specialists assist you with all of your financial decisions. We provide a wide variety of business advisory and tax planning services. Our team regularly updates its professional and technical knowledge to provide high-quality financial advice to our clients.
Firm Philosophy: Our objective is to help our clients keep more of their money by providing high-value services that exceed clients’ expectations in a fun environment that benefits both our clients and our firm. Building value-added, long-term client relationships are the primary goals for our firm.
Scott T. Wait
CPA, AEP, Shareholder
WEALTH MANAGEMENT ADVISOR
Scott and his brother Richard founded RS Wait, Chtd. originally as a tax focused practice that has evolved to assist clients with not only tax planning matters, Scott and his brother also consult clients on business financial planning, business exit planning and assistance in evidence-based wealth management in coordination with optimal tax planning for clients who as family stewards wish to plan optimal paths to transfer their wealth to the next generation, assist clients who seek financial independence in a tax-efficient way as well as clients who request financial advice to help them protect their wealth for retirement. Their mission is to give clients the tools and guidance to make wise tax and financial planning decisions and adopt strategies which include minimizing taxes annually and over their lifetime.
Scott began his career in the firm RS Wait, Chtd. CPA firm. His tax and accounting knowledge and experience continue to benefit his clients who need much more customized tax and financial advice. Scott is passionate in his dedication to his clients and has been successful in helping his clients make smart decisions with their wealth and for their family’s benefit.
Scott continues to add to his existing skills through ongoing professional education and regular engagements as a speaker on a wide range of topics including estate planning, income tax planning, and planning for financial security in retirement. Below is a partial list of Scott’s educational accomplishments, professional credentials and memberships:
- Certified Public Accountant in the State of Nevada. Scott has accomplished the standards set by the board of accounting and regularly updates his knowledge with continuing education that benefits his client’s wealth and preservation of wealth.
- Accredited Estate Planner through the National Association of Estate Planners (NAEP). Member since 2014, Scott is dedicated to assisting clients with their estate plans and to achieve their goals, transfer wealth to the next generation, protect clients from financial predators, and assists clients with significant charitable gifts.
- Estate Planning Council of Northern Nevada, Past- President
- Truckee Meadows Toastmaster chapter - Treasurer
- B.A. from University of Arizona with a double major in Finance and Accounting.
In his personal time, Scott enjoys the outdoors including fly fishing, hiking, and following the Steeldrivers, his favorite Bluegrass band.
Richard E. Wait
CPA, CVA, AEP, Shareholder
WEALTH MANAGEMENT ADVISOR
RSW Wealth Management partner Richard Wait (Rich) is passionate about giving the best financial advice to his clients and contributing positively to his community. Rich focuses on assisting business owners and individuals with improving their financial positions with their estate plans, tax plans, investment plans, investment portfolios and the inter-relationship with each of these areas.
Richard founded RS Wait, Chtd. In 1990. RS Wait, Chtd provides tax compliance and tax planning services for estate tax and income tax matters. In 1996, Richard expanded his consulting skills by obtaining a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) to better serve business clients in determining the financial value of their businesses. As a CVA, Richard assisted businesses with succession plans that enabled his clients to complete “liquidity events”, enabling his clients to move to the next stage of their careers and in some cases to retirement.
In 2016, Richard, along with his brother Scott, founded RSW Wealth Management to supplement their services to clients. Wealth management became a natural next service for clients who transitioned from business ownership to retirement.
Below is a partial list of Richard’s professional accomplishments, professional credentials and memberships:
- Certified Public Accountant in the State of Nevada. Richard has accomplished the standards set by the board of accounting and regularly updates his knowledge with continuing education that benefits his client’s wealth and preservation of wealth.
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA). Richard received the CVA designation in 1996 from the National Association Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA) after successfully passing the CVA exam. Since 1996 Richard maintains his certification by completing continuing education courses and specific certification requirements required by NACVA
- Accredited Estate Planner through the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils (NAEPC). Member since 2007, Richard is dedicated to assisting clients with their estate plans achieving their goals, transfer wealth to the next generation, protect clients from financial predators, and assists clients with significant charitable gifts.
- Estate Planning Council of Northern Nevada, 2001-2005, Past- President
- B.A. from University of Arizona with a double major in Finance and Accounting.
When Rich is not working with clients, he serves on the board of directors with local nonprofit organizations such as Sierra Nevada Community Aquatics, Sierra Nevada Water Polo and Sierra Nevada Masters Swimming and Water Polo. Other personal interests include fly fishing, fly-rod building, hunting, camping, hiking and swimming for fitness.
John Pettibone is passionate about assisting businesses with strategic planning and improvement of financial performance. He is an experienced professional with more than 39 years as a CPA.
John began his professional career with Price Waterhouse (now PricewaterhouseCoopers), then transitioned to become a Partner in S.F. Bay Area regional CPA firms. After working in the audit practice, as required for certification (California), he focused primarily on all aspects of tax consulting for a variety of clients. John also gained significant experience in litigation support and business appraisal. He assisted clients in the negotiation of the purchase or sale of their businesses. In 1998 he was among a select few hundred CPA’s nationally to obtain the new designation Accredited in Business Valuation by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
After 22 years in public accounting John transferred to the Chief Financial Officer position of a manufacturing client in Sparks, Nevada, and John led the improvement of financial operations there for 18 years. He has been involved in managing start-up manufacturing operations in Singapore as well as relationships with international distributors in the Asia/Pacific region. He initiated strategic planning, succession planning, risk mitigation, performance measure, budgeting, GAAP accounting, and other financial analysis processes during his tenure. Performing due diligence, financial assessment and negotiations regarding several strategic business opportunities in Australia, Brazil, France, and the U.S. were among a long list of fun business activities.
John has served as the CFO/Treasurer of several start-up businesses (water safety, IoT, SaaS, etc.) and nonprofit organizations. He serves on the board of directors of several nonprofit organizations. John is an avid reader (listener to audio books) and active fitness swimmer. Yoga is John’s latest activity and playing guitar may be next.
List of Professional Services:
- Tax preparation & planning including, Income, Estate & Gift tax services
- Securities Portfolio and Investments Analysis
- Securities Portfolio Monitoring
- Cash Flow Analysis and Improvement
- Profitability Improvement
- Business Valuation and Succession Services
Industries That RS Wait, Chtd. Serves:
- Professional Services
- Real Estate/Construction
- Food and Beverage Industries
A Note From the Managing Partner
Here at RS Wait, Chtd., the entire team is committed to helping you grow and preserve your wealth. In fact, that’s been our underlying focus since this practice was first formed in 1990.
At that time, we identified a need for accounting services, and we set about creating a practice that could successfully support clients’ tax preparation and filing needs, taxation planning, accounting, business management, and more.
Since then we have successfully helped hundreds of clients, with varieties of needs and many clients, who faced challenges that might also be like your own.
We’ve come a long way …
Other changes have taken place, too. Some time ago we became aware of several business and individual clients who were grappling with so many different issues that we wanted to help. We wanted to be able to say, “Here’s how we can help you with a business succession plan and assist with your personal financial goals.”
So, we set about changing our firm, improving it for the better and turning it into something really special for you. To do that, we worked hard to fully educate ourselves on all sorts of issues – business exit planning, succession planning, wealth and asset transfer planning, charitable giving, personal asset management, estate planning, and more as it applies to people like you.
We attended courses, studied, and invested in new resources, tools, and software to be able to help you with your needs rather than just track your results at year-end. Of course, we’ve maintained our core competencies and in fact, took them a step further by maintaining ongoing professional education. Staying focused on the road ahead.
Now you can benefit from more – more support, more advice, more services, and more results. Where accounting has often been about tracking historical results, accounting at RS Wait, Chtd., has shifted to doing much more than that. Here, we’re focused on mapping out the future for you and your personal wealth needs with you – keeping our eyes firmly on the road ahead and helping you achieve the results you want. Call 775-825-7337 now to make an appointment for a free consultation and needs analysis to discover the difference for yourself.
Richard E. Wait, CPA, CVA, AEP